Take a virtual tour through time across the three townships of North Stradbroke Island.
Use the map or the left navigation bar to explore the Island. Click on the map icons to learn more about the each of the Heritage Trail sites and view the historical photos. Click on the photos to enlarge and see the slideshow.
The Museum encourages you to visit the Island and walk the Heritage Trail in each township, physical signposts mark each site.
Visit the Museum while you are here, located at 15-17 Welsby St, Dunwich.
Museum Opening hours:
Tuesday to Saturday: 10am - 2pm
Sunday: 11am - 3pm
Phone: (07) 3409 9699
Dunwich township - Goompie
The Dunwich area was called Goompee or Coompee, from a word meaning pearl oyster. It has always been home to a sizeable indigenous population, as well as a seasonal visiting place for tribes from other areas. For the past 180 years it has also been the site of various European settlements, including a military/stores depot and convict outstation (1827-1831), a Catholic mission (1843-1846), quarantine station (1850-1864) and benevolent asylum (1866-1946).
In typical 19th-20th century fashion, many structures on the island were recycled. The stores depot buildings were re-used by the Catholic mission, and the Dunwich Benevolent Asylum structures that remained on the island when the asylum moved to Sandgate in 1946 have assumed new uses and can be found scattered around Dunwich and elsewhere on the island.
Amity township - Pulan Pulan
Originally known as Pulan by the Nunukul people, Amity Point was home to an Aboriginal population of over 100 at the time of settlement. In 1825 a pilot station was established to guide ships travelling to the Moreton Bay penal settlement via the South Passage. This was Stradbroke Island's first non-indigenous settlement and closed in the 1840s.
For many years Amity Point was the main landing place for people visiting the island. It also was the destination of Hayles Cruises, which operated boats between the island and Brisbane until 1970.
Erosion by the Rainbow Channel has claimed many historic sites at Amity Point, including the pilot station, a racecourse and the original site of noted yachtsman and historian Thomas Welsby's cottage. Welsby published seven books on Moreton Bay and its history in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He built a cottage at Amity Point from which he explored the bay islands, getting to know them and their inhabitants intimately. His cottage, threatened with erosion, was moved several times and finally dismantled. Some of the timber was used to build Cabarita.
Point Lookout township - Mooloomba
Point Lookout was originally known as Mooloomba or Moodloomba and was well used by the Stradbroke Aborigines. Over 80 midden sites have been identified on the ocean side of Stradbroke Island but most have since been destroyed.
The rocky point has long been a landmark for sea travellers and in 1770 Lieutenant James Cook named it Point Lookout. The Point Lookout Lighthouse was not built until 1932 and in 1934 Bert Clayton set up a bus service from Amity to Point Lookout along the beach to serve the guest house he was building on the present site of Samarinda. A design for a proposed township was drawn up the same year.
Point Lookout was the site of an American radar station during WW II with a radio direction finder constructed in 1942 at Point Lookout at what is now Tramican Street by the American armed forces. Later the RAAF took over the operation, which was moved to Point Lookout headland. For many years the Point Lookout township was a modest fishing/holiday village with small fibro structures typical of those found in similar villages up and down the coast.